Friday, March 12, 2010

Doubt or Denial?

Have I mentioned that there are times that I really doubt Jesse's diagnosis. I mean, REALLY doubt it. Today at the active play time at the local gym, Jesse approached a mama and her sleeping baby. He gently patted the baby's head, gave her a kiss, and lightly nuzzled her. Then he pointed out the baby's ears and eyes and nose to me. He was captivated by this little baby girl. Totally made my heart melt. And he's been so insistent on us playing with him too. He says "Mom" or "Da," points to a chair at his little table (indicating he wants us to sit on the teeny tiny chair that we're both afraid we'll crush) and the goes on to pretend to serve dinner and to eat and drink.

And then I compare Jesse to age-matched peers and I come crashing back down to earth. They're talking in sentences. They're singing. They're engaging other children their age in play.

So I guess my doubt is really just denial?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know Amber. Maybe he's just quite mild? Or maybe it's not the right diagnosis afterall? I hope you get some answers. I think it must be so hard for so many reasons, but because you are watching everything he does and wondering what is part of this and what is not. Stian doesn't engage his peers yet. But because he doesn't have a diagnosis I don't worry about it. But because Jesse does have a diagnosis you do. It's got to be so frusterating. I hope things begin to get more clear, not less clear as you learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeni, the book I'm reading now REALLY makes me think that Jesse has regressive autism, but much less severe than the kids in the book I'm reading. I really want to get him tested for the medical indicators...I have a feeling that's going to be both difficult and expensive though...More on that later.

    ReplyDelete