We had an appointment with Dr. C yesterday at her office. It was just for Steve and I to talk with her, since I was too stunned to think the last time we had an appointment, and Steve wasn't even there. Jesse spent the morning at day care.
I think Steve feels better for going and asking questions and getting her take on things. Me? I'm leaning towards taking Jesse out of the province to see another specialist. Possibly. It's not that I don't like Dr. C. I do. She's really pretty great, actually, and she has a special needs child of her own, so she kinda gets it. But I don't think she quite understands where I'm coming from on the gut/brain link issue (though she didn't completely discount it).
She agreed that Jesse really does need to see an occupational therapist. That might be tricky though, since she heard a rumour that the OTs at children's rehab aren't even taking new patients, and even if they are, the waiting list is about 18 months long. IN-FREAKING-SANE! She's sending off a referral anyways, and stressing Jesse's previous orthopedic issues (heel cord contracture) that likely resulted from his sensory problems. She also thinks that OT may be able to help him with his speech, since they'd be able to address any issues he has with apraxia. She ALSO wants me to call up Jesse's PT and ask her to set up a joint appointment with an OT, which wouldn't entail such a long wait. Hopefully. Our other option is to go private, and Dr. C did give us the name of a private OT in the area who works with kids with development issues. That's definitely an options. I'm pretty certain we have coverage for that under Steve's insurance.
Overall it was a good appointment. Dr. C did stress that with the gains Jesse is making (especially now with speech) that she would like to re-test Jesse with the ADOS at age 3, with the hope that he would no longer fit the diagnosis. My fingers are crossed that we can get to that point in a year. If the past two weeks are any indication, it's a definite possibility!